Beverly Fenn | Death notice | hudsonvalley360.com
Beverly Fenn, 101, a founding resident of Camphill Ghent, died on Sunday, June 27. She was born August 11, 1919 to Carrie Conklin Moon and Philip Codding Moon of Englewood, NJ. A promising soprano, she spent her teenage summers in the opera choir at Chautauqua. After high school Dwight Morrow, she graduated from the Juilliard School of Music in New York. She sang with Fred Waring and the Robert Shaw Chorale. For eleven years she was a soloist at First Presbyterian Church, Hudson.
In the early 1950s, Beverly hosted a radio interview show on WHUC. In the 1960s, she was Managing Director of the Hudson YWCA. She was a guide at the historic site of Olana after participating in its creation. She has worked on outreach to migrant farm workers, advocated for the addition of mental health to the county health department, campaigned to establish the Hudson area library, taught music, directed the Hendrick Hudson Male Chorus, sung with the Treble Choraliers, held classical civic music concerts at Hudson High School, created Friends of the Presbyterian Church where she was eldest, raised a few children, gardened at her Stone Mill home, followed of course at Bard and read voraciously. And more!
Beverly married Albert H. Fenn on January 1, 1944. Albert (Huck) died in 2007 after 63 years of marriage. His children succeed him: Jack (Anne) of Ghent, Christina Fish Acker of Claverack, Peter H. Of Mystic, Ct., And Martha Fenn King (Steve) of York, Me., As well as the grandchildren David Fish, Emily King and Jon King; great-grandchildren Iliana, Ewan and Livvie Haynes; and nieces Beverly Carroll and Carolyn Calder. She was predeceased by her grandson Matthew Fenn and sister Dorrie Schreiner.
Beverly received great fellowship and care for nine years at Camphill Ghent.
After a celebration of her life at Camphill Ghent, Beverly will be buried privately at Mt. Pleasant cemetery. In lieu of flowers, the family is asking for donations to be made to Camphill Ghent or Friend’s of the First Presbyterian Church.